This space was designed to host fair-weather music events, literary readings, film presentations, and small assemblies. We are encouraging artists and community groups to make use of the space by providing affordable rental rates for the space and the equipment needed to support a variety of presentations.
About the space:
• It is accessed through a stairwell adjacent to main entrance on St. Paul Street
• There are two residential apartments on the second floor; because of this, the general courtesy of guests is encouraged on the stairwell and in the hallway that leads to the space
• Washrooms are on the main floor; renters must supervise the main floor during events
• The space can be extremely hot during the day; often 5-10°C warmer than the ambient temperature
• In accordance with City By-laws, events must end promptly at 11PM
• The occupancy of the space is not to exceed 60 persons
About alcohol on the space:
• A cafe is licensed to serve alcohol at events. They will provide a bar and a staff person to serve. The cafe's services must be arranged, in consultation with us, at least three weeks in advance
• Special Occasion Permits for the sale or giving-away of alcohol can be purchased from the LCBO only after consulting with us (permits must be purchased 30 days in advance)
• Alcohol may be served at private parties for invited guests, (a copy of the guest list must be shared with us) and no money is to be exchanged for alcohol
• No alcohol is to be served at events advertised as open to the public, ticketed or otherwise, without permits or without the cafe providing catering services
Rental Rates for the space:
All fees are flat-rate, We do not collect a percentage of the door proceeds at events.
Rental of the space per day/night - $250 Provides access and use of the space for a daytime and/or evening event. Daytime set-up is included in evening rentals. The space is available between 12 noon and 11PM. Twenty-five chairs and four cruiser tables will be provided and two LED light racks (four lights each) with stands. All other equipment is the responsibility of the renter. As well, a staff or volunteer must be provided by the renter to supervise access to the space and the main floor washrooms.
Sound Equipment +$50 Two powered speakers, two speaker stands, two microphones, two microphone stands, and cables (a sound board is not included).
Film Equipment +$20 to +$75 We have a variety of analogue and digital film and video projection equipment. We also have both front and rear projection screens and media devices for playback available for rent.
A Sound Technician + $100 The sound technician will assist with set-up and monitor the sound during the event. This also includes a twenty minute sound check. The technician may also provide extra equipment on request (monitors, cables, sound board, etc.) with fees to be negotiated.
A Staff/Member for Support + $20/hour of our part-time or summer staff may be able to assist you and can be booked pending availability.
Weekly: not available
Monthly: not available
Minimum Booking: 1 day
Always communicate on thisopenspace. To protect your payment, never transfer money or communicate outside of thisopenspace. Learn more
You must arrange ahead of time to obtain a special occasions permit if you wish to serve alcohol (1 month for public, 15 days for private), unless it is for a private party (with a guest list and no sales) otherwise we can request Mahtay to provide a bar at their discretion. They require 3 weeks notice. Any bartender must be Smart Serve certified.
2 people saved this space